Choosing a cleaning service requires a series of decisions. For example, how often do you want service? What tasks do you want performed during a cleaning? Which rooms should be cleaned? Once you know what you need, you can narrow down candidates, as some companies only offer limited services. Here are a few more things to consider when choosing a cleaning service:
- Ask what kind of chemicals the service uses during its cleaning process. If you have children, pets, or allergies, knowing what’s in the cleaners is essential. If the company refuses to tell you or if it uses cleaning agents with toxic ingredients, choose another service for your needs.
- Hire a company that employs rather than subcontracts. In most cases, a company that subcontracts keeps up to 70% of what you pay for the service.
- Eliminate any companies that are not bonded and insured. Should any accidents happen during cleaning or any theft occur while the service is there, the responsibility will be yours as the homeowner.
- Do your homework. Ask the company if they do background checks. If they don’t, you need to choose another company.
- Ask your potential candidates to provide you with a free estimate. This usually involves having a representative come to your home to review the work to be done and giving you their price for the cleaning work. You both should be aware of what is expected before the job begins.
- Choose a company that can offer a flat fee as well as a per-hour charge. For a first cleaning, makes sense to do an hourly job as it will take longer to finish. For ongoing service, it makes sense to get a flat fee so that you don’t have to worry about sudden changes in cost.
- Avoid letting the “cheapest price” be your determining factor. Remember, you get what you pay for, if a service is significantly less expensive than others, there may be a reason why.
- Always choose a cleaning service that provides a guarantee of satisfaction. Services that take pride in their offerings will make sure you are happy and will insure that any issues you have are reviewed and taken care of promptly.
No one said that choosing a cleaning service was easy; so once you’ve found a company you like, you may want to stay with them for a long time. Read about How to Establish a Long-Lasting Service Relationship with Your Cleaners.
Today I was talking to my girlfriend about finding myself a maid service as the season just got so hectic. I was shopping around and most of services with the cheapest prices had things my kids or pet was allergic to. Then I started searching online and got to your blog this was so helpful.
I was looking for information in what to look for when hiring a cleaning service and I got all my questions answered within this page. Thank you, I will use this information to make sure I hire someone competent to clean my home.
We appreciate your feedback, Ronald. Share this page with your friends and family to make sure they know what to look for when hiring someone to clean their properties.
I read a lot of good tips here. I like the tip of “guarantee of satisfaction”. A company that is proud of their services, will make sure the customer is just as proud. I will keep this tip in mind when doing my research! thanks!
You are not wrong Miguel. Making sure a company is guaranteeing a service with satisfaction is key to a happy customer. Thank you for the feedback!
I like the tip that you gave to choose a cleaning service that is properly licensed. My wife and I have been talking about finding a cleaning service, and it would be important for us to know that we could find one who we could trust in. If we choose to find a cleaning service, I will be sure to look for one who is properly licensed.
For my peace of mind, I would also make sure the cleaning service is licensed and bonded before they come into my home. Thanks, Easton, for bringing that to my attention. Share this information with your friends and family before they hire cleaning services, could come in handy.
I like the tip that you gave to choose a cleaning service that has a cost estimate that will work with you. My wife and I have been talking about finding a cleaning service to help us get our home ready to sell, and it would be important for us to know that we could find one who we could trust in. if we decide to find a cleaning service, I will be sure to look for one that will provide a cost that will work with us.
We’re on the same page with you, Jeff. The cost of a cleaning service has a lot to say about how they will perform. Also depends on your expectations for the cleaning crew. What will you be looking for in a cleaning service when looking to hire a crew?
I like the tip that you gave to choose a cleaning service with a good price. My wife and I have been talking about finding a cleaning service to help us with our home. I will be sure to check their prices beforehand.
Hi Jeff, thank you for your feedback. There are a lot of points to look at when looking for a cleaning service. This article has a lot of information, and with this information you can guide yourself into the right direction. What is the #1 thing you look for when researching cleaning companies?
One tip that really caught our attention was that we need to consider hiring a cleaning company that performs background checks on their employees. By choosing a company that performs background checks on their employees provides us comfort because we know that we can trust whoever we let into our home. It was something that we never actually considered, but now will. Thank you for the information.
Thank you for your comment. Doing your homework is an important aspect to do before letting any company into your home. What other tips did you consider when hiring a cleaning company?